Skip to main content

When blurbs and descriptions just can't capture what a novel is about: a review of Jayne Lockwood's Euphoria


Blurbs and covers are supposed to give you an instant idea of what you're getting, right? Well, I've just come across a book that just isn't describable. 

When I saw the blurb, gay romantic sci-fi, I thought, hmmm. And when I read it included male pregnancy, I was seriously put off.

But then I remembered how much I loved Closer Than Blood and how My Boyfriend Is A Dog (written under her pen-name, S.A. Smythe) made me howl with laughter, I thought I should give it a go. 

 Just as well, because I was hooked by the end of the first chapter.

The story starts in the future. Earth is dying but a race of visiting aliens think they might be able to go back in time and fix it. When Vardam travels back in time, he takes one look at Kurt, the man responsible for earth’s destruction, and all his tentacles are tingling.

Yes, I know. it sounds flaky, right? But you have to read this because Jayne Lockwood has a seriously twisted mind - the kind that produces off-beat, funny and yet sweet, mix-it-all-up humour, pathos and romance.

Euphoria is very hard to describe but it is awesome. I loved the characters, the writing, and the story. It's contemporary, not too deep, lots of fun, and above all, it's feel-good.

Ignore the blurb, ignore your prejudices, just have a go. I bet you’ll love it.

PS Comparisons help, right? If you like Christopher Moore’s The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove and Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story, then Euphoria by Jayne Lockwood is a slam-dunk. And if you read Euphoria and haven’t read Moore, you should! 

Buy Euphoria at Amazon 
Buy Euphoria from the publisher DSP 
Find Jayne's other novels on Smashwords here

Need More Reads? 
☆¸.*¨*★☆All Screwed Up ☆¸.*¨*★☆





Sexy, sassy adult model Lacy Desire is in deep trouble. Having walked out on her abusive photographer ex and wrecked a major deal, he and his underworld backers are out for revenge.  Lacy decides only one man can save her: Rex Winslow, the super hot money launderer for the Disciples MC. His rep for violence and mayhem doesn’t worry her because she knows a secret that will keep him in line.

Rex Winslow, tenth Viscount Ravenshurst and financial guru to the Disciples MC, is about to pull off the deal of a lifetime that will restore his family name and fortune. When Lacy turns up and blackmails him into helping her, he’s furious. Worse, her troubles bring the Horde, rivals to the Disciples MC, crashing in on his deal. Handing her over will fix it but cold-hearted practical Rex discovers he’s fallen head over heels. Can he give her up?


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AJ Adams talking about Ruthless Sinner: The universal theme of caring for loved ones

Ruthless Sinner is a murder mystery romance novel that might be a Hallmark title if it were set in a bakery but my Spirit is a stripper and Coop runs a drug lab, that's not likely to happen.  Talking about the universal ethic, taking care of loved ones.  My heroine, Spirit, is a classy lady, and she deserves a fairy-tale ending.  Read Ruthless Sinner and tell me if you consider Coop suitable prince material. There’s a sweet discount for the month of August. Find Ruthless Sinner in online bookstores everywhere

AJ Adams talking about her favourite scene in Dark Hunter - 2 mins, no spoilers

  Two mins only, what I love about bringing back previous characters and my fave bit in Dark Hunter where Chloe, Solitaire and Nats arrive. No spoilers, so you can watch safely Dark Hunter is on sale April 2022 at US$2.99. Hit https://books2read.com/zeta4

Why do women like dark romance?

It's the holiday season, so the cats are looking forward to treats galore and Tom and I are planning outings to the pub to meet up with friends. Hope you're having a great time!   If you're looking for an easy affordable gift, Helpless is discounted to $2.99 all December. Find Helpless at https://books2read.com/disciples1 This month's video answers the question: why do you write dark romance and why do women buy it? The video is less then three minutes but if you're busy, the transcript is below. Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and wishing you a Happy New Year. See you in 2023! Love, AJ Transcript I'm often asked why I write violent bedroom scenes and why women enjoy it. There's lots of research about this, with some theories suggesting: In a society where sex is taboo, it may be a way to enjoy it guilt-free, 'cause they made me' Could be related to evolution: mammals tend to have the male pursue and subdue the female Could be that the stress is key: