Skip to main content

Why do women like dark romance?

It's the holiday season, so the cats are looking forward to treats galore and Tom and I are planning outings to the pub to meet up with friends.

Hope you're having a great time!  

If you're looking for an easy affordable gift, Helpless is discounted to $2.99 all December.

Find Helpless at https://books2read.com/disciples1

This month's video answers the question: why do you write dark romance and why do women buy it?

The video is less then three minutes but if you're busy, the transcript is below.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and wishing you a Happy New Year.

See you in 2023!

Love, AJ




Transcript

I'm often asked why I write violent bedroom scenes and why women enjoy it.

There's lots of research about this, with some theories suggesting:

In a society where sex is taboo, it may be a way to enjoy it guilt-free, 'cause they made me'

Could be related to evolution: mammals tend to have the male pursue and subdue the female

Could be that the stress is key: like roller coasters, it can be fun to be scared safely

Could be related to a dangerous world: if you live in a world filled with violence, it will turn up in your thoughts, OR it's a way to process, making us feel more in control and safer

I look at these studies and think male romance is all about cowboys who shoot people, police officers who shoot people, spies who shoot people - but it doesn't men want to go about killing people, does it?

I think we enjoy exploring exciting territory. Fiction isn't real, so we let our minds expand in a space where it doesn't matter.

Whatever powers this, studies show that violence is the most common fantasy with every community: doesn't matter who or where, dark romance is huge.

As for me, I write about bad boys and so they're not going to be woke in the bedroom. When your heroes are cartel men and bikers, the dark stuff is part of the package.

Speaking of which, at the start of Helpless, Caden is not very nice to Fracas, but it progresses to true romance.

For me that's what it's about: finding happiness.

Helpless is a fun read but as we've talked about before, not everyone is comfortable discussing their taste in dark literature.

So please gift friends with Helpless for Christmas but note that the thanks may be limited to a blush and a giggle.

Find Helpless at https://books2read.com/disciples1

Love, AJ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should I switch from first person to writing third person points of view? Plus a review of Dark Experiments (Forever and a Night, #2) by Lana Campbell

I write in first person point of view (I/me/my) is where the character tells you what’s going on directly. I was shit scared he’d throw me to the pack, so when he stood up and walked me round the side of the house, away from everyone else, my legs went all shaky. Chloe, from The Bonus In my novels, you get the story as told by my girl and her man. She gets a chapter and then he gets a chapter. (Except in Beast, where the story is told by Wynne). I love first person because it’s so immediate. Apart from the pure whammo of personality, you get to see what my girl and her man are thinking, their inner fears, and you can see them fight with themselves as they grow. Also, as my novels have a mystery as well as a love story plot, and my girl and her man go off and do a lot of things without the other knowing, it made sense to switch viewpoints from chapter to chapter. I love the way you can show an incident through two sets of eyes. Like when Chloe discovers Kyl

Life In Malaysia: My Neighbourhood

I've been in Malaysia for more than 20 years so I don't really think about how different life is here compared to the West. However, when Stu, a good friend of ours, died a few weeks ago, I realised that visualising those differences can be quite difficult.  So over the next few weeks I'll write a few posts about daily life in Subang Jaya, Selangor.  It's partly so that our friend's family back in Europe have a better idea of what he was seeing every day, and partly for those of you who say to me, "You live WHERE? Wow, so what's that like?" So here goes! I live in Subang Jaya, a suburban area just outside Kuala Lumpur, the capital city of Malaysia. This is my street. My house is hidden under that massive tree. We are security obsessed.  You have to be vetted and approved at a guard house to get into our housing area. And if you live in a condo, you have an extra layer of security. This is the guard house at the cond

After #Cockygate, do you need to trademark/copyright your book titles?

This post is written for young authors, or new authors living in non-kindle countries, who are worried about #cockygate leaving them open to lawsuits and being blocked by American sales platforms like Amazon.  Also, there are tips on creating a unique title. What is #CockyGate? Faleena Hopkins who sells novels on Amazon is making lots of claims, including that she alone has the right to use the word 'cocky' in a book title. She's been bullying authors, threatening to sue them, and telling Amazon that her rights have been infringed. For a short time, authors who had books with the word COCKY in the title on Amazon had their books taken down. Also, because Amazon uses a lot of automated tools, readers who'd used the word in totally unrelated book reviews also found their opinions censored. Although Faleena is sticking to her guns and making more and more wild claims, Amazon has put the banned books back up, and is restoring the reviews. She's also being challe